take the cake.




My first cake.


cake: |kāk|noun an item of soft, sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients, baked and often decorated.

Such a sweet definition, but it felt more like a mess of chocolate batter out to get me.


It could have been my own fault..  The fact that my first cake would soon be my mother-in-law's birthday cake- so much pressure.  And the fact that I had to make a grandeur statement.



She wouldn't have cared if it was a plain chocolate cake in a 9x13 pan, but no way.  This was my time to shine.

This cake would be 4 stories tall with homemade cream cheese frosting.  Not the generic cream cheese- the Philadelphia kind.  The kind of brotherly love. And of course the precious bunting on the top- made from teeny flags cut out of vintage encyclopedias and gold sprinkles to top the cake.




It basically fell apart as I was cutting it, but I have these pictures to prove that it stayed together and didn't crumble for the length of time it took to turn on my camera, take a picture and set the camera back down.  Thanks to my dear friend, Lori for all the emotional support along the way.  You need a good friend like that on every "first" baking experience.


After all if you're going to do it, do it right.

xo, lc